Between sanding and rigging the boat for the first time, there was lots to do before heading to the race course on day one of the Classic Moth Midwinters. I didn't take many pictures, but I here's the one I did take with the port hole cover getting installed along with a wood pillar to mount the mainsheet block to.
I had a plan for things like the vang, the cunningham, the mast puller, and the traveler controls, but none of these things were proven. The mechanics of sailing was of little consequence if the design deviation from the mistral and the Mousetrap (mod Mistral) was not successful though. Quick recap on some of those differences:
- Significant reduction of wetted surface forward. The bow is much more narrow and the beam is intentionally shy of max.
- Intentionally reversed bow. I added the reversed bow to reduced volume forward.
- Shape at each station was pushed down towards the waterline so that max camber was closer to the centerline of the vessel. The result was flatter gunwales and slightly more volume below the waterline forward compared to the Mistral
- Flattened transom with a fair transition into the corners.